Today i am sharing with you my top 5 totally free VST plugins that i personally use for making G-Funk and West Coast beats, here we are talking about bass, rhodes, west coast synths and also very popular sound used in many G-Funk and West Coast songs you probably heard about it, it has several names like West Coast Whistle or West Coast Whine Lead, Funky Worm or simply Synth Lead, so let’s begin.
This is my favorite free VST plugin for making G-Funk and West Coast beats, it has everything you need, literally! I use this VST a lot, especially for my basslines, it has some amazing presets, you can design your own sounds, it can be used for bass, synth leads, electric pianos, whatever you can imagine, download and experiment.
- 5-note polyphony.
- Arpeggiator and 16-note Step Sequencer.
- Release knobs for the two Contour Generators (envelopes).
- Tuning of Osc 1, Fine Tuning sliders for Osc2 and Osc3.
- Aftertouch control, adjustable filter Velocity curve.
- 3 independent Overdrive sliders (one per oscillator).
- Global Overdrive with hi and lowpass cutoff, Oscillator Sync.
- Chorus, an independent LFO that includes oscillator drift and stereo panning.
- Fully programmable Digital Delay.
2. DSK RhodeZ
When i first started i used this plugin a lot, if you are on tight budget this can work for you, very decent sound and it’s totally free!
- 6 Rhodes piano variations (electric piano)
- Velocity response
- Amp. envelope and micro-detuner
- HP/LP Filter
- 3 Fx (Reverb, Flanger & Chorus)
Another great VST for making smooth electric piano and rhodes chords, also can be used for bells and similar sounds.
- WahWah, Tremolo.
- Midi automation and Midi learn.
Very interesting VST plugin, it comes with 20 presets and among them you can find very nice Funky Bass sound, rhodes, synth leads and pads.
- Polyphonic (6 voices)
- Bandlimited oscillators
- One syncable LFO with five different waveforms
- 24 dB lowpass filter with self oscillation, non-resonant high-pass filter
- Fast ADSR envelopes
- Smooth cutoff changes (also with midi controllers)
- Velocity sensitive filter envelope
- Midi learn for all potis
- Supports all sample rates
- 20 Presets.
Another great VST Plugin for creating smooth pads, rhodes, electric pianos and more, this is a genuine sounding small virtual analog softsynth in VST format.
- 4 Polyphonic with Mono and Legato modes.
- 2 Oscilators + Noise. OSC1 has exclusive pitch envelope.
- Serial Filter1 and Filter2: Filter1 has 2pole LP, BP, HP, Notch modes; Filter2 is fixed at 4pole Moog mode.
- Independent Envelopes for Pitch, Filter and Amp. Filter Envelope Depth can be controlled by Midi Velocity.
- LFOs are Syncable to internal tempo given in Tempo Slider. (LFOs are in ‘retrigger’ mode when synced.)
- LFO2 Rate can be modulated by Pitch Envelope.
- Ring modulation and FM.
G-Funk and West Coast Whine Lead / Funky Worm / Whistle Tutorial
My good friend ProductOfThe90s who is also making West Coast and G-Funk music made a great tutorial on how to make G-Funk and West Coast synth lead, you can watch his video below, make sure you subscribe to his YouTube channel for more videos.